Identifying individuals

What we need from you

Identification requirements

Before accounts can be opened, (for both new and existing customers) we need to fully identify who you are and where you live. We do this for the safety of both the account holder(s) and the Bank and to comply with the law. 

You will need to provide us:
  1. Proof of identification; and
  2. Proof of address.

We require original documents or certified copies as outlined below. Any identification you choose to present must be current and valid. At least one form of your identification documents must contain your photo. In some instances, two identification documents may be required.

Ways to prove your identity

Providing one of these:
  • New Zealand passport
  • New Zealand certificate of identity
  • New Zealand firearms licence
  • New Zealand refugee travel document
  • Emergency travel documents
  • Overseas passport containing your name, date of birth, photo and signature; OR
Providing either of these:
  • Full birth certificate (NZ or Overseas)
  • Certificate of citizenship issued by New Zealand or a foreign government
With one of these:
  • New Zealand drivers licence
  • New Zealand 18+ Card/Kiwi Access Card
  • New Zealand student photo ID
  • New Zealand Defence Force photo ID
  • New Zealand Police photo ID
  • New Zealand SuperGold Card with photo ID
Providing a New Zealand drivers licence with one of the following:
  • Bank statement issued from another registered New Zealand bank in the last 12 months (not TSB)
  • Government agency statement (e.g. IRD - within the last 12 months)
  • Eftpos, Credit or Debit card (name embossed and issued by a registered bank)

If you have any questions about the identification options, please talk to one of our consultants on 0800 872 226 for further information.

Proof of address

You will need to provide to us one of the following documents that contain your residential address and at least your first name initial and surname (e.g. J Smith).

Dated within the last 12 months

  • Bank Statement or letter issued from another New Zealand bank (not TSB)
  • Official IRD or WINZ document (excludes appointment letters)

Dated within the last 3 months

  • Utility bill (gas, power or fixed phone line)
  • Home or contents insurance renewal or reminder letter
  • Tenancy agreement
  • Rates or government valuation notice on property

Certified Copies

A certified copy must have been witnessed by a recognised ‘certified signatory’ in the last 3 months. A written statement on the document itself is required such as

  • Photographic document: 
    'I certify that this is a true copy of the original and represents the identity of the named individual.'
  • Non-Photographic document: 
    'I certify that this is a true copy of the original'

Along with this statement they will need to write their name, capacity to certify, signature and the date of signing.

Choose from any of the following certified signatories:
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Chartered Accountant
  • Notary Public
  • Lawyer/Solicitor
  • Commonwealth Representative
  • Member of Parliament

Your certified signatory may not be related to you, live with you, or be involved in the transaction or business requiring the certification. If you are uncertain about what is acceptable, please talk to one of our consultants or the Customer Contact Centre on 0800 872 226